1. Write down three or four goals to achieve in your new city.
2. Continue all your special family celebrations and traditions.
3. Share some of your family’s special recipes and cultural aspects with new acquaintances and neighbors.
4. Keep a log of new experiences and accomplishments.
5. Give everyone in the family manageable moving chores (taking care of practical matters will take the edge off homesickness).
6. Join an athletic or special interest group. (Try using Meetup.com to find local groups)
7. Get involved in community and/or religious organizations, especially those that sponsor activities, volunteer efforts and programs for newcomers.
8. Learn about the local government, issues and politics.
9. Most importantly, be patient and take one day at a time.
Advice for Volunteers
American Animal Hospital Association Hospital Locator
American Medical Association
American School Directory
Elder Care Locator
National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies
Parents Without Partners, Inc.